Smashed White Bean Toast with Arugula and Tomato
We love avocado toast as much as the next person, but sometimes you need to mash things up. Our Olive Rosemary Sourdough is the perfect partner for creamy white beans, fresh herbs, peppery arugula, and juicy tomato.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. parsley or basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped red onion
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- Several grinds black pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 slices TML Olive Rosemary Sourdough Bread, toasted
- 1 oz. (1 cup) baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices ripe tomato
- Optional: 4 tsp. crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until you have a paste with some chunks scattered throughout. Add chopped herbs, red onion, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon olive oil, and mix to combine.
- Spoon ¼ of the bean mixture onto each piece of toast and spread to cover.
- Toss arugula with remaining teaspoon olive oil and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper (to taste).
- Divide arugula evenly among the toasts, mounding it gently on the top of each one.
- Top each toast with 2 slices of tomato and sprinkle with optional cheese if desired.